Fire Extinguishers for Commercial Vehicles
Having a fire extinguisher is an essential part of any vehicle emergency safety kit - especially for commercial vehicles that are used for business purposes.
Part of keeping a fire extinguisher in your commercial vehicle means being able to quickly and safely access it in the event of a vehicle fire or other emergency.
At Van Products, we proudly offer professional installation of fire extinguishers in commercial vehicles. Our team consists of experts who are knowledgeable in the correct placement and spacing of portable fire extinguishers inside of commercial vehicles.
Types of Fire Extinguishers Installed in Commercial Vehicles
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), there are different types of fire extinguishers, each designed to combat fires in a variety of situations. Therefore, the type of fire extinguisher that is installed in a commercial vehicle will likely differ from one that is found inside of a classroom or building.
When installing a fire extinguisher in a commercial vehicle, it will likely be one of two types of fire extinguishers:
#1 - A Carbon Dioxide Extinguisher
Also known as a CO2 or Dry Chemical Carbon Dioxide Extinguisher, this type of fire extinguisher is:
- Used to extinguish fires by displacing oxygen, or taking away the oxygen element of the fire
- Filled with Carbon Dioxide (CO2), a non-flammable gas under extreme pressure
- Operates under high pressure
- May shoot out pieces of dry ice, which has a cooling effect on the fire
- Characterized by its hard horn and absent pressure gauge
- Are red and range in size from five to 100 pounds or larger
- Are designed for Class B and C (flammable liquid and electrical) fires only
#2 - Multi-purpose - Dry Chemical Extinguishers
Multi-Purpose or Dry chemical extinguishers put out fires by coating the fuel with a thin layer of fire retardant powder, separating the fuel from the oxygen. Other facts about this type of fire extinguisher include:
- Usually rated for class B and C fires
- May be marked multiple purpose for use in A, B, and C fires
- Contain an extinguishing agent and use a compressed, non-flammable gas as a propellant
- Are red in color, and range in size from five pounds to 20 pounds
- Will always have a label indicating they may be used on class A, B, and/or C fires.
For more information about having a fire extinguisher professionally installed in your commercial vehicle, contact Van Products today by calling 919-863-1306.